ONE word can change an entire code:
- “Poorly controlled seizures” is not a comorbid condition (CC) and does not
impart severity of illness (SOI).
- “Poorly controlled seizure disorder” codes to epilepsy and is a comorbid
condition (CC). This diagnosis supports severity of illness (SOI).
- The terminology of “seizures” alone is non-specific and may be associated
with many different medical issues.
- A seizure disorder is associated with the diagnosis of epilepsy for coding
purposes and shows that the patient is sick.
- “Status epilepticus”: seizure lasting > 5 minutes.
Remember – Hospital documentation can include “possible, probable, likely or suspected“ diagnoses.
Download the complete tip, Poorly Controlled Seizure Disorder.