It is important that the most notable FY 2022 IPPS updates below are integrated into your documentation and coding practices.
• New manifestations of COVID-19 (where the code for COVID-19 is coded first) effective for discharges occurring after October 1, 2021, include:
o Pneumonia due to COVID
o Two codes that capture systemic involvement of connective tissue: multisystem inflammatory syndrome and other specified system involvement of connective tissue
• The diagnosis of toxic encephalopathy requires more specificity for accurate code assignment and should include the applicable drug or toxin.
• The acuity and type of myelitis should be specified to allow accurate code assignment when acute flaccid myelitis is present.
• Thrombotic microangiopathy requires more specificity as transplant-associated or not. In addition, the documentation should include whether thrombotic thrombocytopenic
purpura is present.
• Traumatic compression of the brain (traumatic cerebral compression) should include the general anatomical location, e.g., brainstem or cerebellar and documentation regarding
whether herniation occurred.
• The code set can now differentiate between ischemic and non-ischemic myocardial, non traumatic injury to better reflect updates to the Fourth Universal Definition of Myocardial
Download the complete tip, 2022 Documentation Updates.